21 September 2015

Exhibitions : High Museum of Art

Hello there!~ ( •⌄• ू )✧
It's been a minute since I last posted, sorry! I've been busy with con stuff, but a few things fell through (waitlisted at both Momocon and Animazement, work prevented me from going to Hamacon, and couldn't go to Nashicon due to a suicide attempt a week before) but I suppose in the end, getting art done did push me to be prepared for my home con (though financially I wish I was able to get other stuff pumped out such as makeup bags and art books, ahh well).



Anime Weekend Atlanta
25th - 27th Sept 20152450 Galleria Parkway
Atlanta, Georgia 30339
Artist Alley open Fri 12-8pm / Sat 10am-8pm / Sun 10am-4pm

This year I'll be sharing a table with the awesome-tastic Linda Tea, so come find us! I'll be bringing prints, original works for sale, buttons and glittery original ACEO cards~


In the meantime, this post is about my trip to the High Museum of Art yesterday with my girlfriend. A number of pictures were ones I took, while a few are from the website (either my phone died or we were having too much fun in one particular exhibit, hahaa~). Special thanks to my grandmother's friend Frank for allowing us to use our guest passes with your membership, we both enjoyed ourselves a lot! This was also the babe's first visit to an art museum, so I'm really glad she enjoyed herself~
High Museum of Art
1280 Peachtree St NE, Atlanta, GA 30309


The High Museum has a few exhibits, so the first one we checked out was the African Art exhibit from their permanent collection. Pieces from their gallery can be found here, but a lot of sculptures and crafts can be found here (one artist even made somewhat of a traditional blanket using scraps from local beer and ale cans! Of course we weren't allowed to touch it though)



Right next door was an exhibit I kept mistaken for it being released next month, Seriously Silly! The Art and Whimsy of Mo Willems.



It was a great treat, since this was one exhibit I really wanted to see in person. This one was so much fun looking through his works that I forgot to take pictures, but there were a few things I noticed about this particular exhibit. First off, since he is a children's book illustrator, a lot of the pieces were arranged to where it's at children's eye level, which is absolutely perfect!~ In addition, there was a small scavenger hunt book, where children can look for characters who feel a particular way, find different things in his exhibit (one asked how many ice-creams you can find and I swear we found, like, 100 or something) and draw their favourite character. Throughout his exhibit, you also got a chance to see how the pictures looked from start to finish. With that being said, this guy ROCKS blue pencil and charcoal~ (๑・ω-)~♥” The link above will give you a sneak peek of his works, but to really do it justice, definitely find a time to see it in person, it'll be in Atlanta until the 10th of January (with that being the case, I definitely have to take my niece, nephew and little brothers) so Atlantans have NO excuse!

The Skyland floor featured the exhibit I went to The High for, Sprawl! Drawing Outside the Lines. But first we looked through a number of pieces.



Taking pictures with that Donald Duck lookin' character

I was so busy looking at all the x's, that she was the first to point out all of the feet, omg!



This picture in specific I fell in love with; a closer look has so much details it's insane! The photo doesn't do it justice at all, so if you're visiting, definitely check this one out on the top floor~~


ღ꒡ ᴈ꒡)♡⃛(꒡ε ꒡ღ
This one was essentially a giant mirror, however not just one or two... this is legitimately ELEVEN mirrors stacked right behind each other! The artist was conveying not what the artist see in their eyes, but more so what the piece itself sees in the people and environment around them. So essentially... I am a piece of art!~ ( •ॢ◡-ॢ)-♡

With the help of Brazilian art students, an artist re-enacted a famous piece by Leonardo da Vinci... using trash! I literally kept coming back to this one, not only because each time you found new details, but because I am super curious. If this was taken over 40 feet in the air, exactly... how big IS this piece?!!


A piece/shrine by a French artist, representing death. This one was beautiful, yet very depressing.

The Sprawl! Exhibit is a sequel to the 2013 exhibit, Drawing Inside the Perimeter. The 2013 exhibit originally featured Atlanta artists, but this one in specific included artists outside the Metro Atlanta area, such as Lawrenceville, Columbus, Smyrna, Fairburn and even Athens! All of the pieces featured (possibly with the exception of one, which was painted onto the walls of The High) was collected in the span of two years by the Antinori Fund, established by Susan/Ron Antinori who are huge supporters of local artists.


This piece in specific is the reason why I wanted to see this exhibit. Frank Dunson (also known as PaperFrank) is an artist hailing from Atlanta who works with a number of media, such as copic markers, paint, ink and needle, spray paint and more, and freakin' murders at ALL of them. His work in progress on Instagram was what introduced me to this exhibit in the first place, so I knew I had to check it out~




 The other pieces featured here were amazing. I'm so glad I live in (and near) a city with so much talent, I just... wish Georgia took the arts more seriously; what I mean is that Georgia ranks the absolute lowest when it comes to funding for the arts. At a whopping 6 cents, Georgia gives less per resident to the arts than any other state. Considering that art related programs (such as studio art, orchestra and band... and by personal experience going to school at Clarke county, I can say that's true) are the first to go, while so much money is being fund raised and granted for sports teams, I'm not surprised by those numbers at all. This may be my own opinion, but despite the music and art that comes from Athens, without UGA and the football team, Athens may as well be another small town that's even less noticeable than it is now by others who live in Georgia. I truly believe that more appreciation/funding for the arts would make Georgia a more beautiful place to live and love (and more financially stable for artists to take residence in, to be honest)







 Outside was an installation piece by Mexican artists Héctor Esrawe and Ignacio Cadena titled "Los Trompos / Spinning Tops". We sat inside one of the giant tops and relaxed, but next to us were children spinning around and climbing inside with the rope. The mom was a little worried, but that is the beauty of interactive installation art!



Afterwards was a trip to The Vortex at Little Five Points. I've heard so many people rave about this place, and I'm so glad that not only do they have plenty of options for those of us who don't eat red meat (they have veggie burgers, turkey burgers, and both grilled and deep fried chicken breast) but it tastes DELICIOUS. I am a huuuuuge fan of American food, mainly burgers and fries, so this was a perfect ending to the day.


I think that's about all I have covered for now, time to prep for AWA, I'll be seeing you guys there this weekend! For those of you not going, until next time. Peace! ೕ(•̀ᴗ•́)

No comments: